Castrol Lubricants celebrates Huda Al Matroushi, the first Emirati female mechanic for being the nation’s Icon.
1. Being a successful businesswoman at such a young age, & managing an automotive garage independently, what powerful message you have for other women?
If I as a woman can take this profession, any other women can do it equally well. All it requires is a growth mindset and a will to succeed!
2. What are the reactions like, even now when you tell people that you are a car mechanic and have a workshop of your own?
People are usually surprised when I tell them I’m a mechanic. Because they are not so used to women knowing more about cars than men.
3. What is one thing you know now about women and wish you had known earlier in your career?
At the start of my career, I had an idea of how difficult it will be to manage an automotive garage as a woman! Some people felt insecure while giving me their car for servicing, and this shocked me. But their minds changed after they got their cars back in an amazing condition.
4. What encouraged you to open an automobile workshop?
This is not a job for me. It’s my passion. I have had this passion since a very young age. I enjoy fixing things, especially cars. I just took that passion of mine and turned it into a business opportunity.
5. What are the car related problems faced by the ‘working women’ in your locality?
When it comes to cars, there is a misconception that only men understand Cars. In Europe, we see many women working in garages. In this part of the world, this concept is not fully accepted. But seeing a lot of women exploring this field is quite beautiful. If I can be an inspiration for the women in Middle East, I will consider myself blessed!
6. You have worked with multiple world class lubricant engine oil brands? What were your learnings?
With my experience so far, Castrol lubricants are world class; if not the very best! Castrol lubricants are known globally for technology innovation & marketing leadership. Castrol’s role in enhancing the skill sets of mechanics in Middle East is well documented & a well-known!
7. How have these different engine oil brands inspired you & what is your message for them?
I will give one purpose-led example! Castrol lubricants are market leaders! Middle East is not an exception. In this pandemic, when every other brand went for hiding, Castrol was the first lubricant brand to take care of the mechanics community by distributing free hand sanitizers & disinfecting the workshops. Castrol lubricants “walk the talk” and have given immense support to me both as a mechanic & as a workshop owner. My mechanics are trained on Castrol lubricants & I am grateful for their commitment to “learning & development” of the mechanic community.
8. What makes you believe that nothing can stop you from doing the right things for the community?
All are equal & everyone has their own special talent. No gender is superior to the other! As a community, we need to work & learn from each other! In my profession as a mechanic, it is equally important for me to spread the awareness of using the right engine oil for the car & as recommended by car OEM’s. Castrol lubricants has taught me & my team the right values & behaviours & it is my turn now to contribute to my mechanics & workshops community.
9. We know you have a passion for fixing cars. Do you also have a passion for driving?
Of course, driving is my passion & this is one of the reasons why I look at cars differently. I know what is right for the car & a brand like Castrol helps me on continuous learning with latest updates from the automotive industry.
10. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 or 6 years?
I would like my fellow women in Middle East to join me & be a part of this successful industry. I would like more workshops being managed by women and be skilful entrepreneurs!
11. What is your main focus area right now?
My focus right now is to continue learning about cars every day. Be an inspiration to other women who are willing to go that extra mile & be successful in managing car garages. 12. What would you tell the next generation? What would you like them to know? The current generation is highly tech savvy. So, my advice to them is instead of being hooked onto it, make the best use of it. Don’t be afraid of experimenting and find innovative ways to make it more beneficial to the community.